2020-21 RIDEpass applications now being accepted
Riders encouraged to limit transit usage to essential trips due to COVID-19 pandemic
UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. -- Transportation Services is now accepting online applications for the 2020-21 RIDEpass reduced-fare mass transit program.
Anyone interested in participating in the RIDEpass program, including those registered during the 2019-20 program year, must complete a new online application at the Transportation Services website. The pass will be priced at $21 per month, and faculty/staff and graduate student program eligibility requirements for the program will remain unchanged from the 2019-20 program year.
CATA is closely monitoring the Coronavirus COVID-19 public health crisis and is engaging in proactive steps to ensure that their riders, contractors and employees are protected. Please note that all riders are required to wear a face covering over their nose and mouth while waiting for or riding on CATA services, and to practice social distancing when and where possible. CATA is cleaning buses nightly with electrostatic sprayers, wiping down high-touch areas with approved sanitizers and will also be installing two hand sanitizer units on each bus. In addition, riders are reminded to:
- If possible, stay at home
- Do not use CATA's services if you are sick
- Cover your coughs and sneezes
- Wash hands frequently with soap and warm water or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer
To continue to meet the transportation needs of the Centre Region community, CATA will not be specifically restricting the number of riders on each vehicle but will be making service adjustments with the goal of reducing the average number of riders per vehicle. Individuals will need to determine if use of CATA services during the COVID-19 pandemic is right for them, but it is strongly encouraged that use be limited to essential trips. Students, faculty and staff living closer to campus are encouraged to walk or bike where possible.
To provide the best opportunity for a more socially distanced riding experience, riders are encouraged to plan trips in advance and to ride during off-peak times. Real-time bus locations and arrival predictions are available through the MyStop, TransLoc or Penn State Go mobile apps.
RIDEpass eligibility requirements:
- Must be enrolled as a graduate, law or medical student with University Park as the primary campus of enrollment
- Must live off campus at a residence that does not already participate in a CATABUS program
- Must live more than 0.75 miles (walking distance) from a CATA campus service Blue Loop or Red Link stop (Not sure if your address qualifies? Try using our distance web tool.)
- Must live within the CATA service area
- May not have a daytime-access Penn State parking permit (or must return this permit when purchasing the RIDEpass), but may register for an evening/weekend parking permit
Upon successful completion of the application, participants will receive an email confirmation with details regarding when passes will be available for pickup at the Transportation Services Office. This office is located at 1 Eisenhower Parking Deck and open weekdays from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Questions regarding program eligibility should be directed by email to [email protected]. For general questions regarding the RIDEpass program and other programs offered by Transportation Services, please call 865-1436.