RIDEpass Program Terms and Conditions
“RIDEpass” Reduced-Fare Mass Transit Program Terms and Conditions
The “RIDEpass” mass transit program provides access to all CATABUS routes to eligible University Park faculty, staff and graduate students for only $21 per month. Transportation Services covers the remaining cost of each pass to encourage the use of mass transit, reduce vehicle congestion on campus, and promote sustainable transportation.
"RIDEpass" passes will be valid from the date of receipt through the end of the program year, which will run from June1, 2022 through May 31, 2023.
- Must be employed in a standing, fixed term I, fixed term multi-year, or post-doctoral position, or enrolled as a graduate, law or medical student, with University Park as the primary campus of employment or enrollment
- Must live off campus at a residence that does not already participate in a CATABUS program
- Must live more than 0.75 miles (walking distance) from a CATA campus service Blue Loop or Red Link stop
- Must live within the CATA community service area
- May not have a core daytime-access Penn State parking permit, including motorcycle permit, (or must return this permit when purchasing the “RIDEpass” mass transit pass), but may have a commuter lot permit
- Passes are valid at any time on all regular CATABUS and CATAGO routes – pass required upon boarding
- Passes are not transferable and may be used only for the transportation of the individual to whom the pass is issued
- Passes are the property of CATA and Penn State Transportation Services and must be returned upon termination of employment or enrollment, change in eligibility or upon request by either party
- Participants must pay a $25 non-refundable processing fee for the replacement of lost or stolen passes
- Passes are not valid on any other CATA service, including CENTRE RIDE, the Football Shuttle, Charters, or any special shuttle services, whether open to the public or not
- Participants who choose to exit the program before the pass expiration date will not be eligible to re-enter the program until the start of the next program year.
DISTRIBUTION OF PASSES
“RIDEpass” registration is completed online at the Transportation Services website, with applicants receiving email confirmation of their program acceptance upon completion of the online application. Accepted applicants then must visit the Parking Office and show their Penn State ID to obtain the mass transit pass.
Graduate students participating in the "RIDEpass" program are required to pay the full fiscal year fee, in advance, by check or money order (made payable to “The Pennsylvania State University”), major credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover), or LionCash+.
Employees may elect to have the cost of the pass deducted from their paycheck on a monthly basis. Employees not eligible for payroll deduction are required to pay the full fiscal year fee, in advance, by check or money order (made payable to “The Pennsylvania State University”), major credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover), or LionCash+.
For employees paid monthly participating in payroll deduction:
- The cost of the bus pass will be deducted from the employee’s paycheck issued on the last working day of each month. The evening/weekend permit will also be deducted if the employee has chosen this permit as an option.
For employees paid biweekly participating in payroll deduction:
- The cost of the bus pass will be deducted from the employee’s paycheck at a biweekly equivalent. The biweekly equivalent is equal to the monthly rate multiplied by 12 months and divided by 24, or $10.50 per paycheck for a monthly pass cost of $21.00.
Payroll deduction will continue without interruption until the employee surrenders his/her bus pass to the Transportation Services Office. Unless and until the pass (and evening/weekend permit where applicable) is surrendered, payroll deduction will continue each pay period until the pass is turned in. For prepaid passes, a prorated refund will be issued for passes returned prior to the expiration date barring exposure of illegitimate use. Users found in violation of program rules are not entitled to this prorated refund. Prorated refund amounts will be based on unused months left in the program (passes must be returned prior to the first of a month for the month to be counted as unused).
All “RIDEpass” terms and conditions are subject to change at any time, with any changes communicated to pass holders through their preferred email address.
Effective May 15, 2022