Skip to main content
Safety & Security
Safe Riding Tips
- Obey all traffic control devices and routing signs.
- Stop at all red lights and stop signs.
- Yield to pedestrians.
- Maintain a safe stopping distance behind moving cars.
- Do not pass vehicles on the right.
- Walk your bike across streets and intersections.
- Be courteous to pedestrians, motorists, and other bicyclists.
- Avoid traveling too fast down hills or on rough or slippery roads.
- Ride with traffic, not against it. Use hand signals to communicate with motorists.
- Wear a helmet.
- Lock your bicycle every time it is left unattended—even if you’ll only be gone for a minute.
- Secure your bicycle to a rack with a high-quality U-lock and a case-hardened chain. A cable lock alone isn’t strong enough.
- To lock your bicycle properly, place the chain through the bike frame and through one or both wheels, then wrap the chain around a bike rack.
- Park your bike in a well-lit area.