The Bike Den is a community-building space that aims to enhance our community and environment through the promotion of bicycle transportation and material stewardship. Different from a traditional repair shop, our staff and volunteers are here to guide and educate individuals on do-it-yourself (DIY) bike repair.
The Bike Den is expected to open prior to the start of the fall 2021 semester. Check here for updates and operating hours.
- Establish a welcoming space for folks of all ability levels to connect and engage around biking.
- Provide DIY bike repair and maintenance learning opportunities through open workspace hours and guided education workshops.
- Prevent usable bikes and bike parts from entering the waste stream.
- Check-in with the front counter upon entering. PSUID card is required for university affiliated users. Non-affiliated users must have a photo ID with them to register. You must have a complete liability waiver on file.
- Please treat the space with respect so we can continue to serve our community. When you’re assigned to a workspace for open hours, you are responsible for the inventory of tools at your bench until you check out.
- You must check your space and report any damage or missing tools to Bike Den staff immediately or risk being held liable for theft and/or damage when checking out of the Bike Den space.
- If you don’t know how to use a tool, please ask.
- Please return tools to their proper location; do not remove tools from the Bike Den.
- Bike Den staff and volunteers are not here to repair your bike for you, nor are they expected to possess specialized knowledge or technical expertise. While they are happy to provide advice when able, any and all repairs are made at the direction of the user/owner.
- You are responsible for any damages to your bike and/or your possessions.
- Be respectful. Harassment of any kind will not be tolerated. Please see University Policy AD91 for more information regarding Penn State’s expectations.
- You are responsible for the safety of yourself and those around you.
- Store personal projects at home; do not leave your bike or personal equipment overnight.
- Penn State and its staff (including Bike Den supervisors) reserve the right to expel anyone who is not in compliance with any University policy, including failing or refusing to follow reasonable requests from Bike Den Staff.
- By entering the space, you agree to abide by any and all University policies while on property owned or arranged for use by The Pennsylvania State University (“Penn State” or the “University”) or otherwise participating in University or Bike Den programming and/or activities.
The Bike Den is expected to open prior to the start of the fall semester. Check back here for updates on operating hours, workshops, and clinics.
Are you an avid cyclist that would like to give back to the community? The Bike Den needs you! We're looking for volunteers to work at the Bike Den to assist with workshops, maintenance clinics, and general open hours of Bike Den operations.
Volunteers must meet the following requirements:
- Must be 18+ years of age.
- Must fill out a volunteer application. Applications will be available online through the Bike Den website through a survey-submission page.
- Must complete PA Criminal Background Check (follow the step-by-step directions for “New Record Check (Volunteers Only)”
In addition to helping to grow the local bike community, Bike Den volunteers will receive:
- Free Bike Den volunteer t shirt
- Access to volunteer-only hours of workspace use
- Priority reservations for educational workshops
Email [email protected] for more information on the Bike Den, workshops and clinics, and volunteer opportunities.