The Bike Den is a free community-building space that aims to enhance the community and environment through the promotion of bicycle transportation and material stewardship. Different from a traditional repair shop, Bike Den staff and volunteers are available to guide and educate individuals on do-it-yourself (DIY) bike repair.
- Establish a welcoming space for people of all ability levels to connect and engage around biking
- Provide DIY bike repair and maintenance learning opportunities through open workspace hours and guided education workshops
- Prevent usable bikes and bike parts from entering the waste stream
The Bike Den is located at the ground level of the West Deck at West Campus.
Bike Den Operating Hours
Come in with your questions for the Bike Den Staff and Volunteers to answer.
- January - Wheels (Wednesdays)
- February - Gears (Wednesdays)
- March - Brakes (Wednesdays)
Structured presentations and hands-on classes on the given topic.
Spring 2023 workshops:
- Winter Weather Biking 101 - Wednesday, Feb. 8 (6 p.m. - 7 p.m.)
- Wet Weather Biking 101 - Wednesday, March 29 (6 p.m. - 7 p.m.)
Never been on a bike but want to learn how to ride? Schedule a free one-on-one session with us at [email protected]!
Women and Queer Night
Pizza and community. Come on by!
The first Thursday of each month - events resume Thursday, Feb. 2
6 p.m. - 8 p.m.
Women and Queer Night will be returning in the Spring as the remaining dates this year are during breaks.
If you'd like to have your class or even held at the Bike Den, please contact [email protected] with the following information:
- Number of Attendees
- A window of requested date(s)
- Instructor and/or resources needs
Please contact us with at least 2 weeks notice for us to better accommodate your needs.
- Check in at the front counter and complete a policy, procedure, and liability waiver
- A valid PSU ID card is required for university users
- Non-affiliated users must show a valid photo ID
- Ask for assistance with proper tool use. Bike Den staff and volunteers are happy to guide users through repairs when able.
- Return tools to their proper location; do not remove tools from the Bike Den.
- Store personal projects at home; do not leave your bike or personal equipment overnight.
Are you an avid cyclist that would like to give back and help grow the local biking community? The Bike Den needs volunteers to assist with workshops, maintenance clinics, and regular operating hours.
Volunteers must meet the following requirements:
- 18+ years of age
- Submit a volunteer application
- Submit an ePatch Clearance and PA Child Abuse History Clearance (free for volunteers - make sure to select volunteer status when completing your clearances)
Bike Den volunteers will receive:
- Access to volunteer-only hours of workspace use
- Priority reservations for educational workshops
- Free Bike Den volunteer t-shirt
Email [email protected] or call (814) 863-0495 for more information on the Bike Den, workshops and clinics, and volunteer opportunities.