Fleet Vehicle Reservations


Daily rentals include 14 days or less. For longer periods of time, consider Long-Term Reservations. To make a reservation for a daily rental, submit a request online via the Fleet Vehicle Reservation Form. (This is only available for a user with spend authorization from your Financial Officer). Please contact your financial officer if you cannot place the online reservation. After a successful request is submitted, the driver, requester, and appropriate budget person(s) will immediately receive an automated email acknowledging submission.


To change, modify, or cancel any reservation, contact Fleet Operations at 865-7571.



Any time you rent a vehicle for longer than 14 days, it is considered a long-term rental (previously called a Full-Time assignment). The typical long-term rental periods are Fall & Spring semesters and one year, but in certain circumstances vehicles may be rented for shorter periods of time. Contact Fleet Operations at 814-865-7571 or [email protected] for more information.  

To request a long-term rental, you must complete a Long-Term Vehicle Assignment Request (pdf) form available online or call Fleet Operations (814-865-7571) for assistance. The completed and signed form is to be mailed to Room 1, Fleet Operations Building, University Park, PA 16802 or emailed to [email protected]

Note: While Long-Term Vehicle Assignment Request form submission remains required, emails from the Budget Executive and Financial Officer may be sent to [email protected] in lieu of obtaining signatures from them for the form. When doing so, the completed form should be emailed to Transportation Services by the Financial Officer.


To rent a sedan, wagon, four-wheel-drive vehicle, or 7-passenger van from Fleet Operations, you must: 

  1. Be a University employee

  2. Be at least 21 years old

  3. Have a current United States driver’s license

Alternate drivers may operate the vehicle provided that the employee who signed for the vehicle is present and the alternate driver meets all three of the above criteria.

Employees between ages 18 and 21 may only drive University vehicles if:

      1. They have documented completion of a University-sponsored driver training program during the time of their University employment

      2. Their motor vehicle record has been checked by the University's Office of Human Resources and found to contain no moving violations

      3. Driving is a significant responsibility of their approved job description

Employees under the age of 21 may also act as a relief driver when accompanying a faculty or staff member on a long trip (4 hours or more each direction), without regard to items 1-3 above.

Students: Undergraduate students are normally not permitted to drive University-owned, leased, or rented vehicles. A student can only serve as a driver for University business (other than a relief driver as described above) if they meet the requirements above AND if they are acting as an employee as part of the trip, AND driving a vehicle is part of their University job description. However, students may act as relief drivers when accompanying a faculty or staff member on a long trip (4 hours or more each direction). In the case of a rental vehicle, a student relief driver must be properly insured for the vehicle being driven, by noting the additional driver on the rental agreement at the time the vehicle is rented. Students employed on “work-study” assignments are NOT permitted to drive vehicles, as a condition of their federal funding.

To rent a large passenger van from Fleet Operations, you must: 

  1. Be a University employee

  2. Be at least 25 years old (exceptions may be made for individuals 21-24 years of age who have a commercial driver’s license)

  3. Have a current United States driver’s license

  4. Complete online training and testing modules on van operation - requires prior approval from Fleet Operations. Call 814-865-7571 or email [email protected] for online training access.

All van occupants must wear seat belts. Large passenger vans may not be used to tow trailers.


Fleet vehicles are to be used to conduct official University business only and must be returned to Fleet Operations in good operating condition. Drivers must obey all traffic laws and comply with Fleet regulations.  Policy BS20 University Vehicle Operation or Use includes specific policy with regard to Fleet.

Vehicles are not to be used for shopping, personal errands, or other similar activities and are not to be operated by a driver who is under the influence of alcohol. Consuming alcoholic beverages in a University vehicle is also strictly prohibited. Fleet Operations will deny vehicle privileges to any employee who violates these guidelines.

  • No cell phones or electronic devices are to be used while driving unless they are hands-free.

  • Seat belts must be worn at all times.

  • No smoking in vehicles.

  • Pets and/or animals are not allowed in vehicles.

Due to deck clearance heights, parking of large passenger vans in campus parking decks is prohibited.


In the event of a violation, the driver of the vehicle is responsible for paying any penalties and/or fines incurred. The University will not reimburse the driver for these payments. 


The vehicle registration card, insurance card, and Wright Express fuel card, Risk Management vehicle accident report fprm, and Spotted Lanternfly form are located in the visor packet holder above the driver’s seat. Please check that these are located in the driver’s visor pack prior to departure. Wright Express fuel cards may be used only for gas, oil, and emergency repairs that have been authorized by Fleet Operations. These cards must be returned with the vehicle. When traveling to urban areas, customers should remove the Wright Express fuel card and the owner’s card and keep the cards with them until they return to the vehicle.  


The cost of $1,000 deductible collision insurance is included in the rental rate. In the event of an accident that is chargeable to the University driver, the department paying for use of the vehicle will be charged the first $1,000 for repairs.  

For an additional fee, drivers/departments may purchase zero-deductible insurance. Those who wish to purchase zero-deductible insurance for a daily rental may do so at the time the request is submitted online or when picking up the vehicle. In the case of long-term rentals (also referred to as full-time assignments), the driver should indicate his or her preference for zero-deductible insurance on the Full-Time Vehicle Assignment Request form. Zero-deductible insurance costs $3 a day for daily rentals and $20 a month for long-term rentals

If abuse or misuse of a vehicle is found to be the cause of vehicle damage, the department is held responsible for the full cost of repairs. 


Any damage to a fleet which must be reported by completing a Vehicle Accident Report Form (pdf) and forwarding it to Penn State’s Risk Management Office within 48 hours. If the vehicle is inoperable, contact fleet operations immediately at 814-865-7572. If it is after hours a voice message will give you a cell phone number to call.

If you are involved in an accident in which someone is injured or killed, or if any vehicle involved is damaged so extensively that it cannot be driven, you must notify the state or local police immediately.


Fleet vehicles in the local area must fuel at the Fleet facility. If you are outside the local area and need fuel in a fleet vehicle use the Wright Express card (located in the visor packet).
Do not use your Penn State Purchasing Card.

Most major fuel franchises within the U.S. accept the card. The Wright Express card works at "Esso" stations in Canada. If an Esso station cannot be found, you will need to use personal funds and fill out a Fuel Reimbursement form (pdf) upon your return and include the original receipt.

When using the Wright Express card, please remember the following:

  • Use 'regular 87' fuel.
  • Prior to turning off the vehicle, make note of the odometer reading. After swiping the card you must enter a PIN or ID number then the vehicle's odometer reading.
  • If you do not know the PIN number, please contact Fleet Operations or your department's contact for Fleet Rental Vehicles.  Regardless of the terminology used at the tank, the PIN number is just the one number provided. (Please note: If you have a departmental vehicle that is not a Fleet rental, your fuel card will have a different pin number.)
  • If you are unable to utilize the fuel card for your fuel transaction, you may do one of the following:
    • Call the number on the key fob and listen carefully to the entire message, as it will provide you with a cell phone number you may call to reach of the Fleet Managers who can assist you.  Please do not call the 800 number on the back of the fuel card, as Wright Express will not provide the PIN number.
    • You may also use your personal credit card, but you must obtain a receipt. (Note: Penn State Purchasing Cards are not authorized for fuel purchases on Fleet rental vehicles.)
  • The fuel card must be returned with the vehicle. The reservation will not be considered ended until the card is returned.
  • Do not top off the fuel tank before returning the vehicle.



Repairs on fleet vehicles must by authorized by the Fleet Vehicle Manager prior to service. After hours, a voice message will provide a cell phone number to contact. Some repairs may be covered under warranty and therefore arranged by Fleet Operations. For more information or to request a repair, contact Fleet Operations at 814-865-7572.


In rare situations (after every attempt has been made to contact the Fleet Vehicle Manager), the fuel card may be used. Prior to this arrangement the driver must make sure the facility will accept the fuel card as payment.


We ask that you pick up and return your Fleet vehicle at the times you designated on your reservation form. This will help us to ensure that the vehicle is ready for the next renter.



6 a.m. - 5 p.m. (Monday - Friday)


6 a.m. - 11 p.m. (Monday - Friday)

Closed Saturdays and Sundays


When you arrive at Fleet Operations to pick up your rental vehicle, you will be asked to show your valid driver's license. You will also be issued a permit that authorizes you to park your personal vehicle in the Fleet lot for the duration of the rental.

In cases where vehicles are reserved and not picked up, the minimum daily rate for the vehicle reserved will be charged.


Fleet vehicles should be returned to the Fleet lot upon your return to the State College area. You are not permitted to park a Fleet vehicle at your home overnight. When returning a vehicle, fill out one of the green return envelopes, put the keys inside and drop through the mail slot to the right of the inside door. They will be removed when the vehicle is checked in.




  • Daily vehicle rentals
  • Long-term vehicle assignments (includes Department Fuel cards)


  • Billed on Thursdays of each week


  • Billed on the 4th business day of the following month
  • Vehicle odometer readings must be reported by the second day of the following month to Fleet Operations
  • Assignments for a time period of 15 days to one month will be charged a minimum of a one month fee.
  • Department Fuel cards bill based on purchases and separate, standard administration fee.

Both Daily and Long-Term vehicles will be billed directly from Fleet Operations.

View your invoices at PSU Invoicing/Billing Portal.



Departmental fuel cards are used for fueling non-fleet vehicles.

  • Purchase fuel or pay for service work performed on a University vehicle. Taxes are removed from fuel purchases upon bill back.
  • A $5.00 administrative fee per card, per month in addition to purchases made.
  • Billing for Department cards occurs monthly.
  • For policies covering University owned vehicles, please refer to Penn State Policy BS20 - University Vehicle Operation or Use
  • For Departmentally owned vehicles with circumstances not covered in BS20, please refer to Risk Management for guidance.

Requests for Departmental fuel cards are made directly to Fleet Operations via the Departmental fuel card request form (docx).