Penn State Ride Smart by Lyft
The Penn State Ride Smart by Lyft program provides eight $10 per ride credits each month to all Penn State University Park students for Lyft rides back to campus from downtown State College and select surrounding neighborhoods on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights between 2 a.m. and 7 a.m. when other campus transportation is limited.
Students are also encouraged to use the University's Safe Walk service operated by University Police and Public Safety, which provides walking accompaniment on campus for students, employees, and visitors who may feel unsafe walking alone on campus at night.
Ride Smart by Lyft Service Area
For ride credits to apply, rides must be requested during eligible hours and must begin and end within the following program service areas:
- Pickup service area - off campus between College Avenue, University Drive, Bellaire Avenue, Hamilton Avenue, and Buckhout Street
- Drop-off service area – on campus between Park Avenue, University Drive, College Avenue, and White Course Apartments
Program Sign-Up and Ride Credit Use
Follow the steps below to sign up for the Ride Smart by Lyft program and redeem your ride credits:
- Download the latest version of the Lyft app and make sure your account is set up.
- Follow the directions provided in Lyft's program enrollment email (sent to all Penn State University Park students at the start of each semester) or enter code PSURIDESMART in the Lyft pass section of the app's 'Payment' tab to sign up and have the eight ride credits for the current month added to your Lyft account.
- Once the ride credits are in your Lyft account, they will be automatically applied when requesting an eligible Lyft ride.
- Note: If the cost of an eligible ride exceeds the $10 credit, students must pay the difference with the credit card on file with their Lyft account. Lyft ride rates vary and may be impacted by distance, traffic, time of day, special events, and prime time surcharges.
- On the first day of each month through May, any unused credits from the previous month will expire, but a new series of eight credits will be added to the account.
Tips for Riding Smart with Lyft
- Verify your ride by making sure the license plate number, driver information, and vehicle make and model match what you see in the Lyft app.
- Share your location and route with a friend or loved one from within the Lyft app so they can follow your ride in real time.
- Follow the Lyft vehicle on GPS via the app
- Ask the driver to say who they are picking up.
- Visit the Lyft website to learn more about riding smart with Lyft
Terms and Conditions