Penn State Ride Smart by Lyft
This program has ended for the 2021-2022 academic year but will return for fall 2022.
The Penn State Ride Smart by Lyft program provides eight $10 per ride credits each month to all Penn State University Park students for Lyft rides back to campus from downtown State College and select surrounding neighborhoods on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights between 2 a.m. and 7 a.m.
The purpose of the program is to provide a safe transportation option during late night hours for students to get back to campus if for any reason they find themselves in a potentially threatening or unsafe situation. It serves as an off-campus companion to the Safe Walk service operated by University Police and Public Safety, which provides walking accompaniment on campus for students, employees, and visitors who may feel unsafe walking alone on campus at night.
The Penn State Ride Smart by Lyft program will operate as a pilot program through the end of May 2022, after which it will be evaluated for continued funding.
Ride Smart by Lyft Service Area
For ride credits to apply, rides must be requested during eligible hours and must begin and end within the following program service areas:
- Pickup service area - off campus between College Avenue, University Drive, Bellaire Avenue, Hamilton Avenue, and Buckhout Street
- Drop-off service area – on campus between Park Avenue, University Drive, College Avenue, and White Course Apartments
Program Sign-Up and Ride Credit Use
Follow the steps below to sign up for the Ride Smart by Lyft program and redeem your ride credits:
- Download the Lyft app and create an account with your Penn State email address or link your Penn State email address to your existing Lyft account.
- Follow the directions provided in Lyft's program enrollment email (sent to all Penn State University Park students on Sept. 30) to sign up and have the eight ride credits for the current month added to your Lyft account.
- Note: If you can't find your Lyft ride credits email, be sure to check your spam or junk folder. If you're still unable to find it, email Transportation Services for assistance.
- Once the ride credits are in your Lyft account, they will be automatically applied when requesting an eligible Lyft ride.
- Note: If the cost of an eligible ride exceeds the $10 credit, students must pay the difference with the credit card on file with their Lyft account. Lyft ride rates vary and may be impacted by distance, traffic, time of day, special events, and prime time surcharges.
- On the first day of each month through May, any unused credits from the previous month will expire, but a new series of eight credits will be added to the account.
Tips for Riding Smart with Lyft
- Verify your ride by making sure the license plate number, driver information, and vehicle make and model match what you see in the Lyft app.
- Share your location and route with a friend or loved one from within the Lyft app so they can follow your ride in real time.
- Follow the Lyft vehicle on GPS via the app
- Ask the driver to say who they are picking up.
- Visit the Lyft website to learn more about riding smart with Lyft
Lyft Health Safety Program
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, Lyft has launched a Health Safety Program which includes:
- Personal health certification for drivers and riders
- Required face masks for drivers and riders
- Health safety edication for drivers and riders
- Distribution of cleaning supplies and masks for drivers
Learn more at the Lyft website.
Terms and Conditions