The RIDEpass mass transit program provides access to all CATABUS routes to eligible University Park faculty and staff for only $21 per month. Transportation Services covers the remaining cost of each employee mass transit pass to encourage the use of mass transit, reduce vehicle congestion on campus, and promote sustainable transportation.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS AND PROGRAM RULES
2022/2023 RIDEpass Terms and Conditions
- Must be employed in a standing, fixed-term I, fixed-term multi-year, or post-doctoral position at University Park.
- Must live off campus at a residence that does not already participate in a CATABUS program
- Must live more than 0.75 miles (walking distance) from a CATA campus service Blue Loop or Red Link stop to be eligible for the RIDEpass program. (Not sure if your address qualifies? Try using our distance webtool here).
- Must live within the CATA community service area.
- May not have a core daytime-access Penn State parking permit (or must return this permit when purchasing the RIDEpass mass transit pass).
- Employee mass transit passes are valid at any time on all regular CATABUS and CATAGO routes.
- Passes are not transferable and may be used only for the transportation of the individual to whom the pass is issued.
- Passes are the property of Penn State Transportation Services and must be returned upon termination of enrollment or eligibility or upon request by Penn State Transportation Services or CATA.
- Employee mass transit passes are not valid on any other CATA service, including CENTRE RIDE, the Football Shuttle, Charters, or any special shuttle services, whether open to the public or not.
- Participants must pay a $25 non-refundable processing fee for all lost or stolen passes, regardless of whether a replacement is issued.
- All participants MUST bring their Penn State ID card and a document verifying the address used to apply for the program. You will not be issued a pass without these documents. Acceptable documents for address verification include a valid driver’s license or learner’s permit, valid state identification card, current lease/rental agreement, property tax receipt, recent utility bill, recent paycheck, recent change of address mailer from the Postal Service, and recent credit card or bank account statement. All “recent” documents must be dated within four weeks of pick-up.
- Full-year 2022-2023 RIDEpass permits will expire May 31, 2023.
HOW TO REGISTER
Online registration for the 2022-2023 RIDEpass program is now available.
Upon successful completion of the application, participants will receive a confirmation email with details regarding when passes will be available for pickup at the Transportation Services Office.
With no cap on the number of program participants, interested faculty and staff may apply at any time throughout the 2022-2023 program year.
Faculty and staff participating in the RIDEpass program may elect to have the cost of the pass deducted from their paycheck on a post-tax basis. Employees not eligible for payroll deduction are required to pay the full fiscal year fee, in advance, by check or money order (made payable to “The Pennsylvania State University”), major credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express), or LionCash+.
For employees paid monthly participating in payroll deduction:
The cost of the bus pass will be deducted from the employee's paycheck issued on the last working day of each month. The Commuter parking permit will also be deducted if the employee has selected this permit as an option.
For employees paid biweekly participating in payroll deduction:
The cost of the bus pass will be deducted from the employee’s paycheck at a biweekly equivalent. The biweekly equivalent is equal to the monthly rate multiplied by 12 months and divided by 24, or $10.50 per paycheck for a monthly pass cost of $21.00.
Payroll deduction will continue without interruption until the employee surrenders his/her bus pass to the Transportation Services Office. Unless and until the pass is surrendered, payroll deduction will continue each pay period until the pass is turned in. For prepaid passes, a prorated refund will be issued for any passes returned prior to the expiration date. Users found in violation of program rules are not entitled to this prorated refund. Participants who choose to exit the program before the pass expiration date will not be eligible to re-enter the program until the start of the next program year.
The Evening/Weekend parking permit previously available to RIDEpass holders will be discontinued effective July 1, 2022. As a result of this change, all RIDEpass participants will be eligible to purchase a Commuter permit. Faculty and staff must see their department parking chair to obtain a Commuter permit. RIDEpass participants are not eligible for any other parking permits.
For more information, call the Transportation Services Office at 865-1436 or email [email protected].