Bicycling Rules, Safety, and Resources
Penn State's Policy SY16 covers rules and regulations for bicycles, mopeds, skateboards, scooters, in-line skates, roller skates, and electric personal assistive mobility devices.
Get Ready to Ride
Before riding on campus, bikes must be equipped with the following:
- Red rear reflector visible from 500 feet
- Headlamp for night riding visible from 500 feet
- Amber reflector on each side of the bicycle
Education and Enforcement
The Bicycle Education and Enforcement Program (BEEP) helps to ensure that you avoid violations while cycling on campus and around town. Violating Penn State's policy applying to bicycle use on campus will result in a ticket. If you receive a ticket, you have the option to pay, appeal, or waive your first offense by completing the BEEP online training platform within 10 days of receiving your ticket.
- Obey all traffic control devices and routing signs.
- Stop at all red lights and stop signs.
- Yield to pedestrians.
- Maintain a safe stopping distance behind moving cars.
- Do not pass vehicles on the right.
- Walk your bike across streets and intersections.
- Be courteous to pedestrians, motorists, and other bicyclists.
- Avoid traveling too fast downhill or on rough or slippery roads.
- Ride with traffic, not against it. Use hand signals to communicate with motorists.
- Wear a helmet.
An ABC quick check is a reliable method for making sure you're ready to ride. Use it to ensure your bike’s air, brakes, chain, cassette, and cranks are in working order. The Bike Den can help you with an ABC quick check.
- Lock your bicycle every time it is unattended—even if you’ll only be gone for a minute.
- Secure your bicycle to a rack with a high-quality U-lock and a case-hardened chain. A cable lock alone isn’t strong enough.
- Place the chain through the bike frame and one or both wheels to lock your bicycle correctly, then wrap the chain around a bike rack.
- Park your bike in a well-lit area.
Bicycle Repair Stations
Bicycle repair stations are also available at the following locations to assist in fixing a flat tire, brake adjustments, or gear turning:
- Willard Building
- Thomas Building
- Stuckeman Building
- Stadium West
- Westgate Building
- East Deck
- Nittany Deck
- West Deck
- Energy and the Environment Laboratory